Community Development - Building Permits
Permits are required by Village Code. Permits and inspections are required for the protection of public health, safety, and welfare. The Village inspection staff enforces adopted codes to assure that the construction is safe and in compliance. Projects not built to Village standards may have a negative impact on the sale of your home and on insurance costs.
Permit records are public information available in the Community Development Department and can be accessed by citizens by following simple procedures. The property owner of record, with proof of ownership such as a driver's license, title insurance policy, etc., can view their own property records. Requests for property information from non-owners must be filed under the Freedom of Information Act through the Village Manager's Office.
A building permit is required when the project involves new construction, alterations, or an addition to your building. Additional projects that require a permit include new or replacement of the following:
- Plumbing or electrical systems
- Electric outlets and fixtures
- Mechanical work such as furnaces, central air conditioning, hot tubs, or whirlpools
- Garages, fences, decks, patios, or storage sheds
- Swimming pools (above or in-ground)
- Flood control systems
- Signage or changes to existing signs
- Paving, sidewalks, and driveways (approved by Civil Engineering)
- Windows* (if size of opening is modified or any window that protrudes from face of wall)
You do not need a permit for:
- Exterior or interior painting
- Installation of siding, gutters and downspouts
- A new roof
- Window replacement* (same size opening)
*Glass block in residential occupancies is permitted provided that required light and ventilation amounts are maintained. Safety glazing to be installed where required by 2006 International Residential Code for One- and Two-Family Dwellings.
If you are unsure if your project needs a permit call the Building & Zoning Division staff at 847/933-8223. Click here to view the hidden major costs of residential remodeling and additions.
For information regarding your permit via email click here.
To download Community Development forms, permits and applications, click here.
The Village's building permit process can be summarized in these five steps:
- Obtain a permit application and Zoning Information worksheet at the Building Division or by downloading a copy by clicking the link above.
- Return the completed application with the required plans and plats of survey. Both the owner and the contractor must sign the application. The counter staff will check the application for completeness. All contractors must be currently licensed and bonded.
- Staff will review the plans. Small projects such as garages, fences, and decks can be reviewed and permits issued in 3-5 working days. Projects may require approval from the Appearance Commission, Plan Commission, or Zoning Board of Appeals prior to issuing a Building Permit.
- Once a permit has been issued, permitted work may begin. Please display the issued permit placard in a street-facing window so it is visible from the street.
- Call for inspections. Final inspection requests are required to be in writing. Required site inspections are written on the permit placard. Inspections are required to assure that the construction is completed according to code and the approved plans. It is your responsibility to schedule all required Village inspections during and after construction.
Suggestions For Selecting a Contractor
- Although the Village cannot recommend individual contractors, check with the Building Division to determine if the contractor is registered and bonded with the Village.
- Call the Better Business Bureau to see if there are any complaints filed against the contractor.
- Visit other projects performed by the contractor. Talk directly to the owners to get their feedback.
- Obtain a written contract that includes the scope of the work, the total price, and the date of completion.
- Make sure the contractor has adequate liability insurance.
- Contractor Requirements: The Village Code requires many contractors to be registered and bonded with the Village on an annual basis. The registration fee is $50.00 and the surety bond amount is $10,000. No permit applications can be accepted unless all project contractors have current bonding and registration. Please note both bond and registration must remain current through the final inspection phase. All work must comply with the following Village Code and amendments.