Economic Development Commission
The Economic Development Commission is committed to the continued growth of industrial and commercial developments in the Village. This advisory Commission, made up of Skokie business members, provides a sounding board, researching and analyzing issues affecting the quality of life in the Village as they relate to economic development. It is a resource for elected officials and staff to explore new economic development ideas.
The Commission consists of twelve appointed commissioners and is staffed by advisors from the Village’s Economic Development Division. Commissioners serve a two-year term and are professionals which represent a variety of aspects of the local business community.
For more information regarding the Economic Development Commission, please contact Tom Thompson or Leslie Murphy at 847/933-8447.
- Click here to view the enabling ordinance establishing the Economic Development Commission.
The Economic Development Commission’s Mission Statement is:
The Skokie Economic Development Commission is committed to the continued growth of industrial and commercial developments in the Village. As a working Commission, it provides input from all aspects of the Skokie business community. In an advisory capacity, this Commission made up of Skokie business members provides a sounding board, researching and analyzing issues affecting the quality of life in our Village. It is a resource for elected officials and staff to explore new economic development ideas and changes to Village policies. This Commission may consider and introduce new economic development ideas for consideration to elected officials and staff.
The primary duties of the EDC include:
- Provide input on matters to facilitate sound economic growth and business development.
- Examine opportunities for fostering an attractive economic climate within the Village with respect to both existing and potential new organizations.
- Recommend additional steps and measures to promote economic growth by retaining businesses and attracting new commerce and industry.
- Collaborate with Village elected officials and staff to realize appropriate goals and objectives relating to sound business policies, an increased tax base and increased employment opportunities.
- Feature a business each meeting as part of its business retention program to educate the community about the business and to recognize the contribution the business has made to Skokie.
- Interact with other commissions on matters of joint interest or initiatives.
March 28, 2017 - Regular Meeting
February 28, 2017 – Business Site Visit
March 28, 2017 – Regular Meeting
April 25, 2017 – Business Site Visit
May 23, 2017 – Regular Meeting
June 27, 2017 – Business Site Visit
July 25, 2017 – Regular Meeting
August 22, 2017 – Business Site Visit
September 26, 2017 – Regular Meeting
October 24, 2017 – Business Site Visit
November 28, 2017 – Regular Meeting
December 2017 – NO MEETING
October 1, 2015 - Canceled
December 15, 2015 - Canceled
November 25, 2014 (Meeting at Village Hall)
September 30, 2014 (Meeting at Village Hall)
September 8, 2014 *special meeting at 7 p.m. at Skokie Village Hall regarding Village Sign Ordinance
August 26, 2014 - Rescheduled to September 8
June 24, 2014 Meeting Canceled
Term: two years
Meeting date: Fourth Tuesday of every other month.
Economic Development Commission Members
Shalom Klein, Chair
Howard Meyer, Vice Chair
Trustee Liaison: Karen Gray-Keeler
Staff Liaisons: Tom Thompson, Leslie Murphy