Finance Department - Tax Guide
Village of Skokie 2014 Property Tax Levy (Payable in 2015) – Key Points
- The Village's tax levy of $15.4 million is the same as it was in 1990 due to the self-imposed property tax freeze.
- Based on an average, the Village accounted for 7% of an average property tax bill for 2014.
- Over the twenty-three years of the self-imposed property tax freeze, Skokie's percent of an average taxpayer's property tax bill has decreased from 15.2% in 1990 to 6.99% in 2014.
- Based on an average Skokie taxpayer's property tax bill, school districts account for an average of 68.5% of the tax bill for 2014.
- Elementary schools averaged 39.4% and high schools averaged 29.1% for 2014.
- Resident's individual taxes paid to the Village vary, however, on their individual level of assessment and the school districts in which they reside. The term "assessment" reflects the valuation of the property by the Cook County Assessor's Office. Cook County reassesses properties every three years. The current tax bills are the third bills to be issued in the three-year assessment cycle.
- Depending of the level of the assessment for each property, any given resident's Village of Skokie property tax line may show an increase/decrease or even remain somewhat constant. This is all a byproduct of the tax extension process over which Skokie does not have control.
- Please contact the Niles Township Assessor's Office at 847/673-9300 or at www.nilestownshipassessor.com or the Cook County Assessor's Office with questions about your property tax assessment. Questions on property tax appeals can be handled on the web at www.cookcountyassessor.com/index.aspx or by phoning the local office at 847/470-7237, located at 5600 Old Orchard Rd., Room 149.
- Contact the Cook County Treasurer for assistance with bill payment and other property tax issues at www.cookcountytreasurer.com/default.aspx or phone 312-443-5100.
9.25% on general merchandise went into effect on January 1, 2015 (see tax table)
7.25% on registered motor vehicles
Sales taxes are collected and administered by the Illinois Department of Revenue. Please call for information regarding sales and use taxes 1-800-732-8866.
Food and Beverage Tax - 2%
Please click here for the Food and Beverage Tax Remittance Form.
Simplified Telecommunications Tax - 6%
The Simplified Telecommunications tax is imposed by the Village of Skokie and collected by and administered by the Illinois Department of Revenue (see tax table).
Hotel/Motel Tax - 7.5%
The Hotel/Motel tax is imposed and collected by the Village of Skokie
Aggregate Property Tax Rates in Skokie
By elementary school district (per $100 of equalized assessed valuation). The Village's portion per $100 of assessed valuation is only $0.748 for the 2014 Tax Levy.
2014 Tax Levy
School District 68.0 - $ 10.003
School District 69.0 - $ 12.808
School District 72.0 - $ 9.259
School District 73.0 - $ 11.071
School District 73.5 - $ 13.131
School District 65.0 - $ 9.610
Local Fuel Tax
$.05 (5 cents) per gallon. This tax is collected and administered by the Village of Skokie, Finance Department.
Approximately 5% on electric, natural gas and water. Collected as part of consumer's utility bill.