Finance Department - Tax Guide
Village of Skokie 2013 Property Tax Levy (Payable in 2014) – Key Points
- The Village's tax levy of $15.4 million is the same as it was in 1990 due to the self-imposed property tax freeze.
- Based on an average, the Village accounted for 7% of an average property tax bill for 2013.
- Over the twenty-three years of the self-imposed property tax freeze, Skokie's percent of an average taxpayer's property tax bill has decreased from 15.2% in 1990 to 6.99% in 2013.
- Based on an average Skokie taxpayer's property tax bill, school districts account for an average of 68.5% of the tax bill for 2013.
- Elementary schools averaged 39.4% and high schools averaged 29.1% for 2013.
- Resident's individual taxes paid to the Village vary, however, on their individual level of assessment and the school districts in which they reside. The term "assessment" reflects the valuation of the property by the Cook County Assessor's Office. Cook County reassesses properties every three years. The current tax bills are the third bills to be issued in the three-year assessment cycle.
- Depending of the level of the assessment for each property, any given resident's Village of Skokie property tax line may show an increase/decrease or even remain somewhat constant. This is all a byproduct of the tax extension process over which Skokie does not have control.
- Please contact the Niles Township Assessor's Office at 847/673-9300 or at www.nilestownshipassessor.com or the Cook County Assessor's Office with questions about your property tax assessment. Questions on property tax appeals can be handled on the web at www.cookcountyassessor.com/index.aspx or by phoning the local office at 847/470-7237, located at 5600 Old Orchard Rd., Room 149.
- Contact the Cook County Treasurer for assistance with bill payment and other property tax issues at www.cookcountytreasurer.com/default.aspx or phone 312-443-5100.
9% on general merchandise went into effect on January 1, 2013 (see tax table)
7.25% on registered motor vehicles
Sales taxes are collected and administered by the Illinois Department of Revenue. Please call for information regarding sales and use taxes 1-800-732-8866.
Simplified Telecommunications Tax - 6%
The Simplified Telecommunications tax is imposed by the Village of Skokie and collected by and administered by the Illinois Department of Revenue (see tax table).
Hotel/Motel Tax - 7.5%
The Hotel/Motel tax is imposed and collected by the Village of Skokie
Aggregate Property Tax Rates in Skokie
By elementary school district (per $100 of equalized assessed valuation). The Village's portion per $100 of assessed valuation is only $0.767 for the 2013 Tax Levy.
2012 Tax Levy
School District 68.0 - $ 10.218
School District 69.0 - $ 13.288
School District 72.0 - $ 9.629
School District 73.0 - $ 11.276
School District 73.5 - $ 13.387
School District 65.0 - $ 9.727
Average Tax Rate - $ 10.304
Local Fuel Tax
$.05 (5 cents) per gallon
The Local Fuel tax was imposed by the Village of Skokie effective June 1, 2009. This tax is collected and administered by the Village of Skokie, Finance Department.
Approximately 5% on electric, natural gas and water
Effective May 1, 2010 a utility tax was imposed and will expire on May 1, 2015 without further Board action.