Employment applications (except for Firefighters and Police Officers, as explained below) are available in the Personnel Office located on the second floor of Village Hall, or you can download and print an application from our web site. Please return the application either in person or by mail to the Personnel Division. The Village of Skokie does not accept applications or resumes via email or fax. Application for employment must be made via U.S. mail, courier service or in person. Applications can be made for any positions at any time. If there are no current vacancies, applications will be maintained for six months. When a vacancy does occur applicants on file will be considered.
Please note that the Village of Skokie does not maintain information regarding position openings for the Skokie Public Library, the Skokie Park District or other employers in the Village. Click here for finding a job in the community.
Current Employment Opportunities
- School Crossing Guards and Alternate Crossing Guard - Police Department
Job Application (not applicable for Police Officer and Firefighter candidates)
Download, print and submit a completed application form by mail or in person to:
Village of Skokie
ATTN: Personnel Division
5127 Oakton Street
Skokie, Illinois 60077
Application Process for Firefighters and Police Officers
The Board of Police and Fire Commissioners appoint firefighters and police officers. The selection process begins with a competitive testing program. For questions or additional information regarding the selection process, please contact the Personnel Office at 847/933-8212.
Typically, testing for both firefighters and police officers is conducted every two years. Positions are filled by candidates that passed testing and are on an eligibility list.
Our current firefighter eligibility list will expire in November 2015. Our current police officer eligibility list will expire in May 2014. Please check this page for any updates or changes.
The following description is intended to serve only as qualifications for the hiring of firefighters and police officers for the Village of Skokie as of the last testing process.
Firefighters: (As of 12/2013)
Minimum of 21 years of age and under 35 years of age at the time of the written examination unless previous full-time Firefighter in Illinois as noted under state statute (65 ILCS 5/10-2.1-6.3); U.S. citizen or legally authorized to work in the U.S.; High School Diploma or GED and at least one of the following: Minimum sixty (60) college semester hours, or, State of Illinois Firefighter II/Basic Operations Firefighter Certification issued by the OSFM, or, Four (4) years of active military service with an Honorable Discharge by the time of the written examination; Possess a valid Driver’s License; Proof of completion of Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) and proof of passing the Ladder Climb Test, with attainment date less than six (6) months prior to the written examination; Have correctable vision to 20/20 and have the ability to distinguish colors; Within 12 months from hire, reside in one of the following counties: Lake, Cook, DuPage, Kane, Kendall, Will or McHenry counties in Illinois, Kenosha County in Wisconsin or Lake County in Indiana; Enter into an “Employment of Relatives Agreement”, “Authorization for Release of Personal Information Agreement”, and “Candidate Reimbursement Agreement”; (note: Applicants with relatives who are currently employed with the Village will not be eligible for hire); Must have ability to understand the English Language (written and spoken).
The application deadline for the police officers examination test was April 11, 2014. Thank you for your interest in the Village of Skokie Police Department. The following information is intended to provide general information regarding the Village of Skokie’s Police Officer Recruitment Process.
Testing is typically conducted every two years.
When testing takes place, all individuals interested in becoming a Police Officer must meet the following minimum requirements:
- $35 non-refundable application fee
- Minimum of 21 years of age and under 35 years of age at the date of the written examination.
- Minimum of 60 college semester hours from an accredited institution by the application deadline
Four (4) years of active military service with an Honorable Discharge by the application deadline;
- U.S. citizen or legally authorized to work in the U.S.
- Possess a valid Driver’s License
- Proof of completion of the Peace Officer Wellness Evaluation Report or POWER test, with attainment date less than six (6) months prior to the written exam. (Information regarding the POWER test and obtaining certification can be obtained by visiting the Northeastern Illinois Public Safety Training Academy (NIPSTA) website (http://www.nipsta.org/POWER/info.aspx), or Joliet Junior College website (http://www.jjc.edu/fitness-center/Pages/power-testing.aspx), or Triton College website (http://www.triton.edu/power). Note: In case of demonstrated financial hardship, accommodations can be made regarding the POWER testing fee. Contact the Village’s Personnel Office for details.
- Compliance with Skokie Police Department Appearance Policy. Specifically Article IV (Tattoos/Branding/Intentional Scarification /Body Art and Mutilation/Body Piercing
- Have correctable vision to 20/20 and have the ability to distinguish colors
- Within 24 months from hire, reside in Cook, Lake or DuPage County
- Enter into an “Employment of Relatives Agreement” and “Authorization for Release of Personal Information Agreement”
- Enter into an “Abstinence from Tobacco Products Agreement”
- Enter into a “Separation From Employment – Reimbursement Agreement”
- Must have ability to understand the English Language, written and spoken