- Our Community
- Mental Health & Coping
Mental Health & Coping
People that are feeling emotional distress related to COVID-19 can take actions to help support themselves and others.
- Set a limit on media consumption, including social media, local or national news.
- Be informed by a sound source, like the CDC or the Skokie Emergency Preparedness tips to guide your actions. Action helps reduce anxiety.
- Stay active. Make sure to get enough sleep and rest. Stay hydrated and avoid excessive amounts of caffeine or alcohol. Eat healthy foods when possible.
- Talk about your feelings and enjoy conversation unrelated to the outbreak.
Look for positive stories of hope and humanity
Follow a positive news feed such as:
Connect with others in positive ways
- Virtual book club
- Face time in groups with friends
- If you are inclined, connect with your faith community or spend time in prayer
- Share stories of positive behaviors and teamwork with others
- Thank the people you are working with for all they do
- Keep a gratitude journal or use a gratitude app
Remember that the world is better off because of you
We are all thankful for your caring and commitment and please know that you are making a difference every day. Find peace and joy in the meaning of your work. It is at times like these that the meaning of our mission and vision becomes real. Thank you for all you do!
It is normal to feel anxiety, stress and grief at times. However, when emotional distress persists or is interfering with your ability to do the things you need or want to do, it is important to seek help. Skokie Health and Human Services staff are available to provide support and guidance. Call us at 847.933.8208 or check out the resources below:
- Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) 1-800-839-1686
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline Dial 988
- National Alliance on Mental Illness 1-800-950-6264
- National Domestic Violence Hotline 1-800-799-7233
- Disaster Distress Helpline 1-800-985-5990
- Trevor Project 1-688-488-7386
- Veterans Crisis Line 1-800-273-8255
- YouthLine 1-877-968-8491