Clean Green Skokie and Adopt-A-Street
Clean Green Skokie
This litter pickup program launches every spring around March, around the time that the snow melts. Participate on your own or get a group together to pickup litter in your neighborhood or another section of Skokie. Here's how to join in:
- Contact Public Works at 847/933-8427 with the number of adult and number of youth volunteers. Tell the call taker where your group would like to work, or ask for a location in need of help.
- Public Works provides a kit that includes safety vests, trash bags, and gloves. Fill out this informational form and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fill out the online Volunteer Waiver Form for Litter Pick-Up. Youth volunteers must have a parent or guardian submit the form.
- Place bags in your trash can or call Public Works to schedule a pickup of trash bags at the location of the clean-up.
- Send photos of your group participating to email@example.com. Registered groups are entered into a raffle to select a location to have a tree planted in honor of their work. Groups are listed on a SkokiEnews and on social media in late spring.
Photo: The Skokie Swifters Running Club Picks Up Litter On Their Favorite Running Trail!
The Adopt-A-Street program is for businesses or groups who wish to adopt a specific section of street in Skokie. The group commits to adopting a section that is at least a half a mile in length and organizing clean-ups a minimum of two times per year (typically spring and fall). Public Works provides litter kits as requested and all volunteers must submit the Village of Skokie Volunteer Waiver Form for Litter Pick-Up.
After completing their first clean-up, businesses and groups get two signs with their name placed at the start and end of their street section. Interested in Adopt-A-Street? Call Public Works at 847/933-8427 to work with a coordinator to select an available section of street that works for your group.
Thank you to our participating businesses and groups!
|Business / Group||Location|
|Bessie Rhodes School||Church Street from Crawford Ave to McCormick Blvd|
|Byline Bank||Dempster Street from Keeler Avenue to Hamlin Avenue|
|Chamber of Commerce||Oakton Street from Skokie Boulevard to Long Ave|
|Charles River Laboratories||Niles Center Road from Lincoln Avenue to Main Street)|
|Cub Scout Pack 968||Church Street from Linder Avenue to Lawler Avenue|
|Elmdale Partners||Lockwood Avenue from Dempster Street to Lincoln Ave|
|Fairview South School and Hillel Torah||Laramie Avenue from Touhy Avenue to Pratt Ave|
|MCC Academy Girl Scout Troops||Gross Point Road from Skokie Boulevard to Golf Road|
|Old Orchard Junior High School||Kenton Avenue from Gross Point Road to Church Street|
|Skokie Caucus Party||Skokie Boulevard from Oakton Street to Howard Street|
|Skokie Public Library||Niles Center Road from Lincoln Avenue to Edens overpass|
|Turning Point Behavioral Health Care||Skokie Boulevard from Carol Street to Madison Street|
Too busy in spring to participate? Kits are available any time of the year by request. Additionally, organizing an alley clean-up is a great way to deter rodents - call Public Works to arrange a pick up of supplies.