1.) Over-the-Counter Permits
Over-the-counter permits are for simpler jobs and can be easily obtained via this website. Homeowners can do so just by providing basic information about the job and their email information. Contractors can do the same, but we also ask them to establish an account with login credentials. Select the appropriate permit below to continue.
2.) Building Permits:
Building Permits are for the larger more complex jobs which have a more extensive review process.
To apply, the applicant (whether homeowner or contractor) needs to first establish an account by clicking here.
Then the applicant should login and select the appropriate permit listed below:
If you need assistance to apply online, please use the Online Permit Application Guide for assistance.
Permit records are public information available in the Community Development Department and can be accessed by citizens by following simple procedures. The property owner of record, with proof of ownership such as a driver's license, title insurance policy, etc., can view their own property records.
Requests for property information from non-owners must be filed under the Freedom of Information Act through the Village Manager's Office.
Projects Requiring Permits
A building permit is required when the project involves new construction, alterations, or an addition to your building. Additional projects that require a permit include new or replacement of the following:
- Electric outlets and fixtures
- Flood control systems
- Garages, fences, decks, patios, or storage sheds
- Mechanical work such as furnaces, central air conditioning, hot tubs, or whirlpools
- Paving, sidewalks, and driveways (approved by Civil Engineering)
- Plumbing or electrical systems
- Signage or changes to existing signs
- Swimming Pools (above or in-ground)
- Windows* (if size of opening is modified or any window protrudes from face of wall)
Projects Not Requiring a Permit
You do not need a permit for:
- Exterior or interior painting
- Installation of siding, gutters and downspouts
- A new roof
- Window replacement* (same size opening)
Engineering Residential Plan Submittal Requirements
All civil engineering residential plans submitted for permit application review must be properly bound and include all pertinent information found in the Engineering Residential Plan Submittal Requirements (PDF).
Information via Email
For information regarding your permit send us an Email.
If you are unsure if your project needs a permit call the Building & Zoning Division at 847/933-8223.