The Village's building permit process can be summarized in these five steps:
- Apply online or obtain a Permit Application (PDF) and Zoning Information Worksheet (PDF) at the Building Division or by downloading a copy.
- Return the completed application with the required plans and plats of survey. Both the owner and the contractor must sign the application. The counter staff will check the application for completeness. All contractors must be currently licensed and bonded.
- Staff will review the plans. Small projects such as garages, fences, and decks can be reviewed and permits issued in 3-5 working days. Projects may require approval from the Appearance Commission, Plan Commission, or Zoning Board of Appeals prior to issuing a Building Permit.
- Once a permit has been issued, permitted work may begin. Please display the issued permit placard in a street-facing window so it is visible from the street.
- Call for inspections. Final inspection requests are required to be in writing. Required site inspections are written on the permit placard. Inspections are required to assure that the construction is completed according to code and the approved plans. It is your responsibility to schedule all required Village inspections during and after construction.