Social Work Services
The Social Work staff provides information and referrals for such needs as:
- Community Resources
- Employment Resources
- Help in Home Providers
- Housing Resources
- Financial Assistance Providers and Availability
- Legal Assistance Resources
- Retirement / Nursing Home Resources
The Lending Closet offers Skokie residents the use of canes, walkers, crutches and wheelchairs for periods up to six months. A lightweight travel wheelchair may be borrowed for 24 hours or through a weekend.
Standard folding wheelchairs also are available for loan up to six months. At the end of the six-month period, the wheelchair must be returned to Human Services in good condition. A driver's license is required for wheelchair loans. The Lending Closet is open Monday, Wednesday and Friday by appointment only. Please call 847-933-8208 for further information, or to schedule a time to pick up a lending closet item.
COVID-19 and Seniors
The Department of Health and Human Services has been hard at work to ensure the safety of all our Skokie community members of all ages, especially those who are most vulnerable, our Skokie Seniors. To ensure the well-being while staying at home, going to work, or running errands, we wanted to share important health guidelines that can also be found on our COVID-19 Education page.
Here are some important steps you can take to reduce your chances of getting sick:
- Stay home when possible and avoid close contact with people who are sick
- When in public, practice social distancing by maintaining a 6 foot distance between yourself and others.
- Wear a face covering when in public. Local resources for cloth face coverings
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing
- If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol. Always wash hands with soap and water if hands are visibly dirty
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth
- Make sure you have a supply of all essential medications.
- Try alternatives to shaking hands, like a wave or elbow bump.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using regular household cleaning spray or wipe
For additional information on COVID-19 and older adults, please visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s COVID-19 webpage.
Read a helpful Brochure on the Congregate Dining Services (PDF) offered to Senior Citizens of Skokie.