- Your Government
- Village Departments
- Pet Licensing
The number of cats and dogs permitted in a residence, building, or lot in Skokie is restricted by ordinance as follows:
- Single-family residence properties are allowed a maximum of two dogs and four cats.
- Single-family apartment or condominium properties are allowed a maximum of one dog and two cats.
All cats and dogs in residence are required to have a pet license and to wear the license tags when off the owner's property. Dogs or cats visiting or temporarily at the property need not have a Village of Skokie license, but they must have a current rabies inoculation and the numbers of pets in total cannot exceed those allowed in the ordinance.
- The fees are $25 per dog or cat if the animal is not neutered or spayed.
- The fees are $10 per dog or cat if the animal is neutered or spayed.
License Purchase Process
- The purchase of a dog or cat license can be purchased online or in person.
- An application form must be completed and submitted with payment.
- A current copy of the rabies certificate must be included with the application.
- Veterinary proof of neutering or spaying must be included with the application if applicable.
- A renewal form for pet licenses will be mailed annually to the owner's last registered address in June of each year.
- Pet licenses are available for purchase throughout the year.
- Pet licenses expire July 31 of each year.
Pet licenses are available for purchase at the Collections Division window on the first floor of Skokie Village Hall located at
5127 Oakton Street
Skokie, IL 60077
Office hours are 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. Village Hall is closed on Saturday. A payment drop box is located near the main entrance next to the U.S. Mail box on the west side of Village Hall, 5127 Oakton Street. Payments for Village of Skokie water bills, parking tickets and other non-moving violations, and miscellaneous invoices may be made 24 hours a day, seven days a week online by visiting the Online Payment Services page.
Please call the Finance Departments Collections Division at 847-933-8423 for further information.