In recognition of the uniquely higher costs borne by homeowners who live along significant state, county or Village roadways with deeper sewers, a sewer assistance program is in place to help homeowners who meet each of the following criteria:
- The property's sewer service is connected to a main that is in the right of way of a Regional Arterial, Village Arterial, or Collector street, as depicted in the graph at right, and whose width is 42 feet or greater; and
- The sewer failure has created an apparent and hazardous condition in the public way; and
- The invert depth of the main sewer adjacent to the point of connection with the lateral equals or exceeds 12 feet in depth; and
- The proposed cost to effectuate the repair exceeds $7,500, which represents the typical cost of a sewer repair in Skokie for any property owner; and
- The property dwelling is a single family home.
If a homeowner meets each of these criteria, the homeowner would then be eligible to receive financial assistance from the Village to offset the portion of the repair cost which exceeds $7,500.