- Keep an eye on the stove top.
- Give space heaters space.
- Smokers need watchers.
- Keep matches and lighters out of reach.
- Inspect electrical cords.
- Be vigilant when using candles.
- Have a home fire escape plan.
- Install smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors.
- To escape through smoke - get low and go.
- If your clothing catches fire - stop, drop, cover your face with your hands, and roll.
Vehicle Safety Tips
- Never store alcohol based hand wipes or sanitizers anywhere in a vehicle that allows for direct sunlight. Overheating of these alcohol based products may cause fires.
For a complete list of fire and life safety tips, please refer to the Fire and Life Safety Tip Sheet Skokie Fire Department (PDF)