Beautification & Improvement Commission
- 6:30 p.m.
- First Thursday of every month
- Bob Quane, Chair
- Mitchell H. Sandler, Vice Chair
- Sherwin Ditlove
- Vernell Ellison-Smith
- Janet Enwia
- Ann Goldshaft
- Joseph Hasten
- Dalya Horowitz
- George Hubchak
- Bahram Khazeni
- Charles Levine
- Fred Lisiewicz
- Edward M. Potash
- Rachel Rosenberg
- Barbara Rubins
- Joshua Shpayher
- Valerie Shuman
- Brooke Sprague
- Elaine Steiner
- Anne VanOsdol
- James Johnson, Trustee Liaison
- Cathy Stevens, Liaison
PurposeThe Beautification and Improvement Commission advises the Mayor and Board of Trustees on matters of community beautification and conservation.
ActivitiesCommission activities include:
- Designing, supporting and funding landscaping for Village parkways and public properties
- Sponsoring the Annual Arbor Day observation, the Property Owner's Beautification Awards Ceremony and Clean-Up Week activities
- Coordinating activities with the Park District
- Participating in the 4th of July Parade
- Selecting and displaying decorative banners along Village streets
- Coordinating with the Skokie Department of Public Works and the Village Forester monitoring and maintaining the health of Village trees
Beautification AwardsEach year the Village of Skokie Beautification and Improvement Commission evaluate nominated properties throughout the Village. Properties are judged based on overall appearance and condition, as well as landscape design and maintenance. Please consider nominating a neighbor, a local business, or yourself! Winners will receive an awards certificate during the annual ceremony held in March or April.
How to Submit a PropertyPlease note only nominations for front yards or side yards (if a corner property) are accepted. Backyards are not eligible for awards. Nominations are due by August 1. Note that nominations are closed for 2021, with 2022 nominations beginning in summer 2022. Subscribe to SkokieNews or visit this page for updates!
- Nominating a property other than yours? Simply email: firstname.lastname@example.org and put the address of the property in the subject line. A jpeg photo is helpful, but not necessary to submit a nomination. Village staff will then reach out to the property owner to obtain their contact information and a signed photo consent form.
- Nominating your own property? Have a photo of your property and a photo of your signature saved to your computer and submit an Online, Interactive Property Beautification Award Nomination. Or print out a form here and email it to email@example.com or mail it to: B & IC, 9050 Gross Point Rd, Skokie, IL 60077.