- Your Government
- Boards & Commissions A - E
- Beautification & Improvement Commission
Beautification & Improvement Commission
The Beautification and Improvement Commission advises the Mayor and Board of Trustees on policy, programs, and other matters of beautification and conservation.
The commission seeks to promote and educate residents on environmentally sustainable gardening and landscaping, foster community participation, advocate for the enhancement of Skokie’s tree canopy, improve the overall aesthetics of Skokie, and collaborate with similar commissions, community groups, and the Skokie Park District.
Our vision is a community where biodiversity thrives, and people create sustainable landscapes that enhance the beauty of our village and enrich our lives.
- Designing, supporting, and funding landscaping for public properties
- Sponsoring the annual Arbor Day observation, the Property Owner's Beautification Awards, and Clean Green litter activities
- Coordinating activities with the Park District
- Participating in the 4th of July Parade
- Coordinating with Village staff to promote and increase Skokie's tree canopy
First Thursday of every month at 6:30 p.m.
View the Village meetings calendar
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
View Agendas and Minutes
Bob Quane, Chair
Beautification & Improvement Commission Vacancies: 3
Interested in serving on one of the Village's advisory boards or commissions?
Nominate a neighbor, a local business, or yourself to win a Skokie Beautification Award! The Beautification and Improvement Commission evaluates nominees on Design, Plant Choices and Maintenance. Winners will receive an awards certificate and/or a yard sign during the October Beautification Awards ceremony, and winning yard photos are posted on our website.
New For ’23!
We’ve updated the awards program to support proven sustainable practices that will help make our community a better place to live.
Does your front yard include food for local pollinators?
Click for a list of native host plants & non-native pollinator-friendly plants!
Are you a Pollinator Protector?
Click for advice on how to keep your garden lovely without pesticides!
Does your front yard include food for humans like herbs, fruit or vegetables? Integrated plantings and/or separated edible planting areas are qualified to win!
The very best gardens in Skokie are eligible for special recognition! Judges will select the Top 5 ranked gardens overall.
In addition to the primary judging criteria, the winning yards will not include any invasive plants from the IL Exotic Weeds list. Click for the top offenders list.
Subscribe to SkokieNews or visit this page for updates!
How to Submit a Property
Nominations are due by July 15! Please note that only nominations for front yards or side yards (on corner properties) are accepted. Backyards are not eligible for awards.
- Nominating your property? Three easy options:
- Online: Fill out the online form and upload photo and signature files as requested on form.
- By email: Download the nomination PDF, fill it out, and email it to email@example.com.
- By postal mail: Download the nomination PDF, fill it out, and mail it to B & IC, 9050 Gross Point Rd, Skokie, IL 60077.
- Nominating someone else’s property? Simply send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the address of the property in the subject line. Photos are helpful but not required to submit a nomination (.jpeg format, please). Village staff will reach out to the property owner to obtain their contact information and a signed photo consent form.
Beautification Award Documents and Photographs
2021 Beautification Award-Winning Properties