Cook County properties are reassessed every three years as part of the Triennial Reassessment, and many Skokie property owners are receiving letters from the Cook County Assessor's Office detailing changes to their property tax bills. As a reminder, the Village of Skokie's portion of property tax bills has been frozen since 1990. The Village's $15.4 million tax levy remains the same amount to this day and represents approximately 6.4 percent of an average 2019 property tax bill.
Village of Skokie 2018 Property Tax Levy (Payable in 2019) - Key Points:
- The Village's tax levy of $15.4 million is the same as it was in 1990 due to the self-imposed property tax freeze.
- Based on an average, the Village accounted for less than 6.4% of an average property tax bill for 2019.
- Over the twenty-three years of the self-imposed property tax freeze, Skokie's percent of an average taxpayer's property tax bill has decreased from 15.2% in 1990 to 6.4% in 2019.
- Based on an average Skokie taxpayer's property tax bill, school districts account for an average of 71.2% of the tax bill for 2019.
- Elementary schools averaged 42.8% and high schools averaged 28.4% for 2019.
- Resident's individual taxes paid to the Village vary, however, on their individual level of assessment and the school districts in which they reside. The term "assessment" reflects the valuation of the property by the Cook County Assessor's Office. Cook County reassesses properties every three years. The current tax bills are the third bills to be issued in the three-year assessment cycle.
- Depending of the level of the assessment for each property, any given resident's Village of Skokie property tax line may show an increase/decrease or even remain somewhat constant. This is all a byproduct of the tax extension process over which Skokie does not have control.
Property Tax Questions
Please contact the Niles Township Assessor's Office at 847-673-9300 or at the Niles Township Assessor website or the Cook County Assessor's Office with questions about your property tax assessment.
Property Tax Appeals
Questions on property tax appeals can be handled on the Cook County Assessor's website or by phoning the local office at 847-470-7237, the office is located at:
Cook County Assessor's Office
5600 Old Orchard Road
Skokie, IL 60077
Contact the Cook County Treasurer for assistance with bill payment and other property tax issues at the Cook County Treasurer's Office website or phone 312-443-5100.