The Village's Consumer Affairs Commission reminds Skokie residents to use caution when making online purchases on Cyber Monday which is on November 30, and all throughout the year.
Remember, the first defense is to avoid online shopping and instead, shop with trusted Skokie businesses, many that are now offering online services, curbside pick up and delivery, too! See a list of Skokie businesses open and ready to serve you during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Here are some consumer safety tips for online shopping:
- Connect with care. Do your online shopping at home, and make sure your home wireless network is protected.
- Be cautious online. During the holidays, scammers may send fake emails that are too good to be true. Don't click on links!
- Set strong passwords and change your password often. Do not set passwords that will be easy for cyber criminals to guess.
- Too good to be true? It probably is. Shop online through trusted retailers to avoid getting scammed.
- See more information on cyber security from Ready.gov.
See safe holiday shopping tips and online shopping safety tips from the Federal Trade Commission.