Click here to view a video explaining the Skokie Alternate Side Parking program.
Due to the heavy snowfall expected to begin in the late afternoon of January 30 and continue through January 31, 2021, the Village of Skokie Public Works is planning now for snow removal. Skokie is expected to receive close to eight inches of snow.
Alternate-side parking will not be in effect on Sunday, January 31, 2021.
Instead, it is anticipated that alternate-side parking will be in effect from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Monday, February 1 and Tuesday, February 2.
Snow Clearing Plans
Skokie Public Works crews will begin clearing arterial streets during the evening of Saturday, January 30 and the early-morning hours of Sunday, January 31.
During daytime hours on January 31, Public works will work on clearing snow from the center of all Skokie streets. Once alternate-side parking begins as expected at 8 a.m. on Monday, February 1, Public Works crews will begin curb-to-curb plowing that will continue through the end of the day on Tuesday, February 2.
Assuming that at least four inches of snow have fallen, Public Works crews will begin plowing sidewalks on the morning of Sunday, January 31.
More Alternate-Side Parking Information
There are numerous ways to find out of alternate-side parking is in effect:
- Watch for an alert on the home page at www.skokie.org
- Sign up for CodeRED text alerts
- Call the Village’s 24-hour Snow Hotline at 847/675-SNOW (7669)
- Sign up for SkokieNews to receive an email alert on the first morning that alternate-side parking is in effect
- Tune to SkokieVision cable and look for the crawl message (Channel 25 on RCN systems, Channel 17 on Comcast systems)
- Listen for the emergency siren that sounds at 7 a.m. to signal that the program is in effect from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. that day; the siren sounds again at 6 p.m. to indicate that alternate-side parking has concluded for that day
Alternate-side parking goes into effect from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., seven days a week, when two inches or more of snow falls. The snow removal program is a minimum two-day operation. Here is how alternate-side parking works in Skokie:
- On even-numbered days of the month, after a snowfall of two inches or more, all vehicles must be moved to the side of the street with even-numbered addresses between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m.
- On odd-numbered days of the month, after a snowfall of two inches or more, all vehicles must be moved to the side of the street with odd-numbered addresses between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m.
Business owners, employees and customers are all subject to alternate-side parking restrictions.