Due to the approximately three inches of snow accumulation, alternate-side parking will be in effect from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. on
Friday, February 25 and Saturday, February 26, 2022.
Sidewalks and alleys will not be plowed as the snowfall did not reach the amount required for these services.
Refuse and recycling collection will proceed as scheduled with no changes.
Click here to view a video explaining the Skokie Alternate-Side Parking program.
Due to the estimated three-inch snow accumulation, alternate-side parking will be in effect on Friday, February 25 and Saturday, February 26, 2022, from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. The snow removal program is a minimum two-day operation. Here is how alternate-side parking works in Skokie:
- On odd-numbered days of the month, after a snowfall of two inches or more, all vehicles must be moved to the side of the street with odd-numbered addresses between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m.
- On February 25, 2022, parking is required on the side of the street with odd-numbered addresses.
Village of Skokie Public Works crews plow sidewalks throughout the community after four inches of snow, and alley plowing occurs after a snowfall of six inches or more. Be sure to check www.skokie.org for updates during winter storm events. At times, refuse and recycling collection is suspended so that Public Works crews can finish clearing snow from the community, and updates on this schedule also are posted at www.skokie.org. Certain Village streets are exempt from alternate-side parking on Saturday, Sunday and some holidays. See a complete list of exempt streets.
Numerous main Village thoroughfares, including Touhy Avenue, sections of Oakton Street, Skokie Boulevard, Old Orchard Road, Crawford Avenue and more are under the jurisdiction of either the Cook County Highway Department or the Illinois Department of Transportation, and those agencies are responsible for plowing the roads under their jurisdiction. See a map of Skokie street jurisdictions.
Temporary Parking Available in Several Village Lots
When alternate-side parking is in effect, the Village allows temporary parking in three Village-owned parking lots in the community:
• North Skokie Swift parking lot that is accessed off of Gross Point Road north of Dempster Street. Parking is allowed in the section of the lot closest to Gross Point Road.
• The municipal parking lot near Crafty Beaver Home Center on the north side of Oakton Street in Downtown Skokie.
• Skokie Swift parking lot on the northwest corner of Skokie Boulevard and Searle Parkway.
Parking restrictions in these parking lots are relaxed while alternate-side parking is in effect. Parking restrictions go back into effect at 6:01 p.m. on the last day of alternate-side parking.
There are numerous ways to find out of alternate-side parking is in effect:
• Sign up for Smart911 text alerts
• Watch for an alert on the home page at www.skokie.org
• Call the Village’s 24-hour Snow Hotline at 847/675-SNOW (7669)
• Listen to 1660 AM Skokie Radio
• Sign up for SkokieNews to receive an email alert on the first morning that alternate-side parking is in effect
• Tune to SkokieVision cable and look for the crawl message (Channel 25 on RCN systems, Channel 17 on Comcast systems)
• Listen for the emergency siren that sounds at 7 a.m. to signal that the program is in effect from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. that day; the siren sounds again at 6 p.m. to indicate that alternate-side parking is concluded for the day.
See more information about alternate-side parking.