The Village’s Public Works Department makes it easy to keep your yard clean this fall! Below are two programs to be aware of as autumn arrives.
On Monday, October 16, Public Works will begin seasonal leaf collection, which continues through early December, weather permitting. Instead of bagging leaves in landscape bags, residents may rake leaves into the street next to the curb in front of their home. (Do not place leaves in the street prior to October 14.) Crews will collect leaves throughout Skokie every five to seven days, as weather permits.
Please follow these guidelines:
- Rake leaves away from parked cars and do not park on leaf piles.
- Be mindful of fire hydrants and keep them visible.
- Consider wetting leaves after piling them to prevent them from blowing away.
- Do not rake leaves onto or into sewer drains.
- Do not add twigs, branches or other garden debris to leaf piles, as these materials can damage equipment. Grass clippings are not allowed for yard waste or leaf collection.
Yard Waste Collection
The final weekly yard waste collection for 2023 will be on Wednesday, November 1.
Pro tip: Did you know that fallen leaves can help improve soil quality and provide nutrients to landscaping and lawns? Try raking a few inches of leaves into your landscape beds, or mulch leaves into your lawn.