March 23, 2020
Skokie Village Hall and Public Works Temporarily Closed Until Further Notice
In response to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic and for the safety of the general public and Village staff, the Village of Skokie is encouraging patrons to conduct Village business online or over the telephone. To limit face-to-face interactions, services provided at Skokie Village Hall and Skokie Public Works will only be available online or by telephone until further notice. Essential Fire, Police, 9-1-1 Dispatch and Public Work services will continue to operate as normal.
Village services can be completed online via the Village’s website and requests can be submitted through the Access Skokie app or by emailing email@example.com. For general Village Hall service questions, please call 847-673-0500, Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Please see below detailed information on how to complete various Village services available online or over the phone. Continue to visit the Village website for the latest updates on how COVID-19 is impacting Village services.
All police administration and non-emergency matters for the Police Department should be directed to 847-982-5900.
For emergencies, call 9-1-1.
Village Finance Department
Electronic payments for water bills, business licenses, non-moving violations, certain building permits and Assist-a-Family donations can be submitted on the Village’s electronic online services webpage. The outdoor payment box on the west side of Skokie Village Hall also is available to make payments. Please see below for phone numbers to call for support and to make appointment requests.
- General payment questions: 847-933-8247
- Water billing phone support: 847-933-8418
- Pay-by-phone services: 847-933-8420
- Non-moving violations support: 847-933-8421
- Accounts payable concerns: 847-933-8243
- Local tax collection: 847-933-8243
- Pet licenses: 847-933-8423
Temporarily suspended Finance Department Services:
- Violation immobilizations (Denver Boot) suspended through April 30, 2020
- Late payment fees/penalties and water shut-offs suspended through April 30, 2020
- All new water meter installations suspended through April 30, 2020
- All parking and red light hearings canceled through April 30, 2020
Applications for building permits can only be submitted through online services or by email. The processes for issuing building permits and calling for inspections will continue with no changes. When necessary, paper copies of large-format plans can be dropped-off and plans that have been stamped approved can be picked up by using a specially-marked Building Department drop box on the west side of Village Hall. Permit applications can be submitted by using the following methods:
- For most building permits, go to Skokie Permits. These include interior remodeling, garages, driveways, decks, and swimming pools.
- For smaller jobs, go to Skokie Expedited Permits. These include air conditioners, amplifiers, dumpsters, electrical service upgrades, fences, furnaces, raffles, sewers, sheds, and water heaters.
- For all other permits, please email Building@skokie.org and building staff will respond to your request. Application forms can be found at Skokie Applications.
For general Building, Community Development, Property Standards and Permitting questions, please call 847-933-8223.
Village Clerk’s Office, Transfer Stamps and Passports
Services provided by the Village Clerk’s Office can be accessed online or by calling 847-933-8203. Real Estate Transfer Tax Forms can be accessed here. Completed Real Estate Transfer Tax Forms can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org and payments can be arranged by calling 847-933-8203. Once the payment is made, the Village Clerk’s Office will provide an appointment time to pick up the stamp, or customers may send a prepaid FedEx or UPS label and the stamp will be mailed to them.
Real Estate Transfer Tax Forms also can be mailed to:
Skokie Village Hall
Attn: Village Clerk’s Office
5127 Oakton Street
Skokie, Illinois 60077
Passport services are temporarily suspended.
Village Employment Applications
For employment-related questions or to obtain an employment application please visit the Employment Opportunities page or call 847-933-8212.
In-person Village employment applications will not be accepted. Applications must be sent via email to email@example.com or by U.S. Mail addressed to:
Village of Skokie
ATTN: Personnel Department
5127 Oakton Street
Skokie, Illinois 60077
The community is asked to please use these Skokie Police Department electronic and phone services for non-emergency matters:
- To file a police report online, please go to www.skokiepolice.org and click on the “Home” tab. There you will find an option to “File a police report online”; please, click on the link and follow the steps. This method should not be used if anyone was injured as a result of the incident or if the crime is in progress. USE 9-1-1 FOR ALL EMERGENCIES, THIS PORTAL IS NOT TO BE USED FOR IMMEDIATE REQUESTS FOR POLICE SERVICE.
- Individuals requesting to obtain a copy of a police report, please contact the Skokie Police Department Records Unit at, 847-982-5932 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Individuals requesting to obtain a copy of a traffic crash report, please go to www.skokiepolice.org and click on the “Home” tab. There you will find the “Crash Reports” tab. Please, click on the “Crash Reports” tab and follow the steps.
Fingerprinting services, solicitation permits, police partnership meetings, tours and all ride-a-long requests have been temporarily suspended until further notice.
We request that the public refrains from visiting the Skokie Police Department for in-person report requests unless they are dropping off documents, signing documents or requested to do so.
Freedom of Information Act Requests
Freedom of Information Act Requests can be completed online. Please call the Village Manager’s Office at 847-933-8210 for more information.
Village Meetings and Events
Non-essential Village meetings will be postponed until further notice. Please see the Village’s website calendar for the latest status of Village meetings and events.
Engineering-related requests can be submitted through Access Skokie or by contacting Skokie’s Senior Engineer Russ Rietveld at email@example.com.
The Village has been notified that the Simple Recycling textile recycling pick up service is suspended until further notice. Recycling/refuse container lid and cart repair also is temporarily suspended.
The Skokie Health Department will continue to share updated information as it becomes available. The Illinois Department of Public Health has established a COVID-19 hotline that residents may call, 1-800-889-3931, and a dedicated email address for inquiries, firstname.lastname@example.org. Residents also may call the Skokie Health Department at 847-933-8252 with questions about the virus. Please watch this video with helpful information about the COVID-19 virus.